Tuesday 5 August 2008

Day 1: 05 August 2008

I woke up feeling quiet good this morning, slightly achy from the exercises yesterday during the assessment but not too bad at all :)

I woke up extra early today, an hour earlier than usual, I'm usually terrible at getting up in the morning, but I know that I really need to do these exercises before work, it will make the day easier and I will be in better alignment.

The Menu of exercises I am doing are as follows: (Please note these exercises are for my dysfunctions and only mine, please do not try to copy as you will more than likely cause yourself harm and could make problems worse)

1. Abduction/Adduction - Feet Close - 5mins (This exercise promotes pelvic stabilisation through femur rotation)
2. Hooklying abductor presses 1 x 20 (Promotes lateral hip stabilisation)
3. Hooklying Knee Pillow Squeezes 1 x 20 (Promotes bilateral pelvic stabilisationn through the adductors)
4. Frog (Promotes lumbar/pelvic extension

(Repeat the previous 2 exercises (2,3,& 4) a further 2 times (alternate 3 sets of each in total)

5. Hooklying Reverse Presses - 3 x 10 (Hmmm does not say what this exercise does, but I know it is to engage the shoulders blades together, will speak to Matt and find out)
6. Hooklying Pullovers Halfway - 3 x 10 (Promotes extension of the thoracic spine and scapular rotation)
7. Standing Chest Openers Unilateral - 2 x15/side (This does not say what it does either, but I believe it is to open up the chest and pull the shoulders back)
8. Hooklying Abdominal Crunches - 2 x 25 (Promotes engagement of the trunk flexors)
9. Assisted Hip Lift Position - 1 x 1min/side (Promotes bilateral pelvic stabilisation through external femur rotation)
10. Cats n Dogs - 1 x 10 (Promotes bilateral spine flexion and extension while loading the shoulder and hip joints)
11. Static Wall with Splits - 1 x 2mins (Promotes bilateral hip and lumbar flexion to re-establish the muscular chain between the trunk and pelvis with an emphasis on pelvic stability and erector engagement)
12. Static Wall Femur Rotations - 2 x 10 (Promotes thoracic extension while limiting the rotation ability of the lower load joints with an emphasis on hip stability)
13. Static Wall - 1 x 1min (Promotes thoracic extension while limiting the rotation ability of the lower load joints)
14. Standing Quad Stretch - 1 x 1min/side (This exercise stretches the muscles of the hip and repositions the pelvis)
15. Supine Groin Progressive - 10mins/level/side (Promotes elongation of the hip and groin muscles. The effect of this action will create a chain reaction of muscular response in the upper body)
16. Airbench - 1 x 1min (Promotes proper function of the lower load joints while stabilising the opposing pelvis)

As you can see it is a fair few exercises, and takes about 45-60mins to complete. please refer to Pain Free and Health Through Motion books by Pete Egoscue for pictures of the exercises. I will try and see if I can get the pictures posted up here.

When I did them this morning, there was no major problems, the one I find really difficult is number one, extreme tightness in my adductors and the outside of my calves. Also the static wall exercises are very dificult as I have very limited flexibility in my left hamstring, the left leg will not straighten out, it fairly bent, but Matt said this will gradually over time lengthen and I will be able to straighten my left leg, and then get my butt closer to the wall.

I also find the Supine Groin Progressive very uncomfortable when performing it on the left leg, very comfortable feeling, but I need to ride out the discomfort this just goes to prove how tight my hip flexors are, and over time this discomfort feeling will diminish....Hopefully ;)

Afterwards I felt really good, for most of the day I felt my shoulders were retracted and I felt more upright and not so round shouldered.

On a scale of 0-10, 0 being no pain, 10 being the worst pain, I would say I have been about a 3-4 today, but I haven't been too bad recently either, not done much walking so my pain levels have been low anyway.....Well low compared to what I would normally deal with....lol

I have to do another set of 3 of the above exercises in the evening after work:

1. Abduction/Adduction - Feet close - 5mins

2. Supine Groin Progressive - 7mins per level today, did 2 levels

3. Airbench - 1min


I will try and post tomorrow if not the day after....

No comments: