Thursday 7 August 2008

2nd Day: 06 August 2008

Okay well I woke up late this morning, had a late night the night before, really annoyed at myself for not getting up earlier and doing my exercises....grrrrr....Went to work, had some pain in my left hip flexor, but tried to get up as much as possible during the day, to ensure I was not in flexion for too long without movement.

I had planned on doing the exercises when I got in from work, but had to go and pick my girlfriend up from the station and could not do them when she was around, the Egoscue Exercises need your full attention, need to be in a quiet room, or some music on with no distractions, well I feel this is the best way, to ensure that you remember to breathe and take the exercises slowly.

After taking the girlfriend home I was battling the decision to do the exercises when I got home or not, it was already 11:45pm, but I made the decision to just do the exercises, it's only my second day, if I start slacking now, it will get more difficult to get in natural habits of performing them daily....So at 11:57pm I started on my exercises, I played some calming Reiki music I managed to find off the net, it is really relaxing and helps to block out other noise and thoughts as well, and helps me to deep breathe.

I can tell the exercises are already starting to get easier, the ones I am having problems with are the Static Wall and Femur Rotations ones, it's due to lack of flexibility in my left hamstring, but when I have my left leg up, I find my left hip flexor starts to tighten up, goes rock solid, but after a few mins it starts to relax, and the tension eases up.

I am having problems with the Progressive Supine Groin Stretch, the right leg is fine, I could lay like that for about an hour, but the left leg......It starts to really ache, it becomes overwhelming, like I need to move, I it's not so much painful, it's more a dull ache, it's really hard to explain the feeling, all I know is that I find it hard to lay in that position, I start to get aches/pains, top of the hip, then just above the knee, and it moves around, I guess this is just a sign of how deconditioned the illiopsoas is on my left side, and how much in spasm it is in usually. I'm going to call my Practioner to inform him of this problem, and if maybe I should start out only doing each level for a little while and then progress for longer periods of time? I'll post on what he says.....I'm guessing he may just say over ride the discomfort and achy pain..... :(

Despite this problem I feel posititive, I feel more upright, I feel my muscles working again, and the soreness is just an indicator that my muscles are working and haven't been worked in some time!

2 comments:

rayray said...

Hi Dan,

Just came across your blog. I started on the Egoscue system about a month ago (here in the US) to help address problems I've been having that have resulted from a lifetime of bad posture--actually, some things that sound really similar to what you have. Looking forward to reading more of your posts, and I'd be happy to share my experience with Egoscue too if you'd like.

Best,
Ray (Washington, DC, US)

Dan Monahan said...

Hi Ray

Thanks for reading, yeah it would be great to here your experiences with Egoscue? How are you getting on with it? How are your pain levels? Reducing?

Are you finding the exercises easier and managing to them daily?

Thanks
Dan :)